Thematic Area: Transition to Adult Care
The following guidance document is endorsed by the Workgroup based on standardized reviews:
Kidney Int 2011; 80:704-7.
- Transition structures should be implemented in all centers.
- Transition should start between 10 and 14 years.
- Core elements: Patient education, information transfer, assessment of transition readiness, family support, shared patient visits or conferences of pediatricians and nephrologists.
- Adequate financing of transition is needed.
Comments by Evaluators:
- The guideline is more a Consensus Statement.
- More peer review is needed.
- Guideline has to be adopted to local health systems.
- Not all elements can be implemented everywhere due to restricted resources.